We offer over many different types of specialty containers and can provide custom built configurations as well. Special dedicated storage or transportation containers, equipment containers for use on radiological sites and even custom process equipment all fall under our fabrication expertise. Designing of specialty bracing and returnable packaging, can help to standardize the handling of unusual items such as equipment that may only be used for an annual maintenance outage.
Meeting your specific needs in addition to complying with the DOT transportation regulations is part of the value engineering service that we offer to all of our customers. Our Innovative team of designers is well versed in designing containers that offer quality and performance exceeding regulatory requirements.
Below are some examples of specialty containers we designed and fabricated in collaboration with our customers to meet their unique project requirements.
This Container was a joint project with a customer to design and construct a heavily shielded container to house mechanical equipment. The interior of the container was fabricated with a custom support structure to stabilize 35,000lbs of removable steel shielding. Insulation, electrical systems, heating, and air conditioning were also added to the container.
- Complete design and build
- All of the interior shielding required to be removable while maintaining less than a .020” tolerance between shielding panels
- The complete interior of the Package was insulated and then skinned for ease of decontamination
- We co-designed and installed the electrical system, HVAC system and conducted substantial engineering analysis on the hoisting and rigging capacity of the package
This container was an emergency build for a customer due to an accident at sea where 22 ISO containers, in the hold of the ship, broke free of their lashings. The unique challenge was having a single design that could accommodate each of 22 ISO containers that had been damaged and twisted. The entire container was designed and certified in less than two weeks. Containers were built and delivered to customer in Western Canada in 30 days.
- Emergency build for Customer
- Oversized IP-1, high profile project
- Designed & certified in 1.5 weeks
- Built and delivered within 30 days to Western Canada
Container was built for our customer to transport control rod Casks from the power plant pools to Horizontal storage vaults. A single adjustable design was used to accommodate three different sized Casks. Top hat construction on the container provided easy loading of Casks with the package rated for both trucking and rail transportation.
- Horizontal cask transportation
- Used at powerplants to move control rods to storage
- 120,000 lbs. payload
- Adjustable to fit 3 different casks
- Top hat construction for ease of loading payload
- Rated for road and rail transportation
This container was designed as a reusable 7A Type A Fissile over pack for a long term, shipping campaign being conducted by UCOR. Per their request, they wanted a container that would be both durable and quick to load and unload. This side-loading package was designed with the NNSS disposal site in mind. The closure system for the door featured MSDF’s newest patented Duo-Seal Closure system that was developed for and utilized on this package. This quick and secure method of closure, durability of the structure, and long lasting powder coated finish all contributed to the success of this project.
- Reusable 7A Type A Fissile overpack
- Fast load/unload
- Fast closure with no time consuming bolts
- Utilizes MSDF patented Duo-Seal Closure System
- For mounted transportation by truck allowing side entry
Container was a retrofitted 20’ Sealand designed to house a mobile lab for high-value air sampling equipment. Roof access, side door access, internal storage, and additional structure were added to the container. In addition, heating, air conditioning, and electric service were installed. A removable bolt on safety platform on the top of the container was custom designed and fabricated with shipping in mind.
- Retro fit of a 20’ sealand for mobile high-value air sampling
- Roof access, side door access, internal storage and structure
- HVAC/Electric service was added to container to make mobile office
- Removable bolt on safety platform for workers
Container was constructed for a customer who was disassembling a radioactive piece of equipment. The source had a calculated radioactive level, but the actual reading would not be known until disassembly. This container had modular shielding to allow for adjustment based on actual needs. A square and round inner shielding could be used individually, or nested together, providing more or less shielding while remaining under tight maximum weight constraints.
- Customer had a payload with a source of unknown radioactive level
- Box had modular shielding to allow for flexibility and reuse of package
- Originally needed 1” of shielding, MSDF made two 1/2” steel shielding units that nested
- Square and round container provide max amount of shielding while staying under weight constraints
- Could be used in multiple configurations.